Posted by: samdt | 2012/11/08

severe binge eating disorder

Dear Det Doc
As I sit here writing to yu I am beyond desperate. I am a 40 year old female, 1.72m tall and I weigh 155.2kg. I read the articles on Health24 on binge eating disorder and I am a text book cae. I have 2 toddlers and am pertrified that I am going to eat myself to death very soon. It is getting worse and worse and I am loosing total controll. I devour huge amountsof food ( ANYTHING will do - to the point of feeling physically sick. Even then I wll try to stuff in just one or 2 more bites. I know all the healthy eating do''s and don''ts but just can''t stick to any form of healthy eating plan. I get so frustrated as I have an IQ in excess of 140 but can just not figuremy way out of this downward spiral. It is like a huge monster - I kep chopping off heads but each time 2 grows back in its place. I am really really fearing for my life. What on earth am I going to do? Ralised to my great shock that even gastric banding etc ould not work as Iwould just keep on stuffing in food. That is if I could afford such an op. My mdical aid wouldnot pay for it. What on earth am I going to do!!!!!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Samdt
Your weight is indeed morbidly and critically obese with a BMI of 52.4. If you read the articles I have written about binge eating disorder, you must have noted that I recommend that patients should get assistance from a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist for the psychological problem(s) that is/are making them self-destruct. Once progress is being made with helping you to take control of your life again, then you need to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to guide you with applying a balanced weight reduction diet. So the first step is to consult a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist or if you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Go for expert help ASAP.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.