Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/12/13

Severe Anxiety

My daughter is 20 and has been suffering with severe anxiety with ocd and secondary depression. Has been in hospital for the past two weeks again. Presently on Cymbolta 90mg, Rivotril 1 mg, Betabloch, Neurontin 300mg, Stressan, Remron 30mg. The medication does still not seem to sort this out. Anxiety still there, very depressed and tearful last nite but says she no longer feels above the earth. Been through 4 psychiatrists - Will this ever come to a end - will she ever be herself again and is this the right medication with this kind of disorder?

Clearly, this is a very complex situation, and has apparently baffled 3 or 4 shrinks so far. This is a complex combination of medicines. Some are antidepressants, like Remeron and Cymbalta, some are tranquillizers. I'd usually prefer to see more of the mood stabilizing drugs in such a person, but maybe they've been tried before. There's no way, Im afraid, that I can second-guess in this sort of case, where the other docs have had the advantage of all details of the history and have examined her themselves. One can seek a further opinion from yet another psychiatrist, but I can understand that its not very encouraging to feel so uncertain. Maybe best arrange to sit down, even for a few minutes, with her current doc, and discuss this treatment in detail, and what plans he has.

3
Posted by: sunflower | 2007/12/14

you might be able to look some people up on the website for the South African Depression and Anxiety group.

Reply to sunflower
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/12/14

Daughter of 20 on severe anxiety.... Can you please let me have the name and tel no of the psychiatrists that specialise in this field that know what they are doing.... PLEEEASE

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Sue | 2007/12/13

SA Doctors are very quick to put ppl on tranquillizers, which i kind of disagree with, i have no problem with antidepressents as they help the brain create those good chemicals / hormones and teach it how to work again.

Has she tried Cognitive Behaviour Therapy?

I have suffered from this but obviously not at your daughters extent, I learn how to use CBT which helps me

Reply to Sue