Question
Posted by: Sparkle | 2007/12/11

settle an argument.

Hi. My friends and I have been arguing about how to take the recommended 6-8 glassess of water a day. I maintain that the water should be drunk throughout the day and my friends feel that its best to drink it all at one go. Could you help settle this argument please!

Dear Sparkle
Firstly both you and your friend should not drink 6-8 glasses of water a day if you are also ingesting other liquids. Adults need about 2,5 litres of liquid per day. Drinking more can lead to electrolyte imbalances as minerals like potassium, sodium and magnesium are washed out of the body by excess liquid consumption. If you drink your additional 3-4 glasses of water a day throughout the day it will benefit you more than downing this volume in one go. The idea is to hydrate the body throughout the day. So you are correct.

1
Posted by: louie | 2008/01/03

Can drinks with cafeine like tea and coffee and coke be counted as a fluid - to add up to the 2.5 litre of fluid a day

Reply to louie