Question
Posted by: Really worried | 2007/11/27

Serlife???

Dear Doc

Hope you could help me out.. I went to my general GP yesterday, as I believe I'm starting to head towards Post Natal, she gave me Serlife (50mg) to be taken for at least 3months, but I'm really quite scared of any side effects or any other funny symptoms/feelings.. please could you give me more information on this...

Serlife is a generic version of the drug Sertraline, and SSRI antidepressant ( a later relative of Prozac ), and should be useful in treating depression. As a generic, it will be significantly cheaper than the original version, but chemically identical. If you want to look it up by googling, try Sertraline, the chemical name of the basic effective ingredient. Remember that all reported side-effects tend to get listed, although they are not compulsory, and that with any drug the main side-effects are commonest and worst in the first week or so as your body gets used to the presence of the drug. If you are depressed, and sliding into a PND, surely effective treatment of the depression needs to be a priority ?