Posted by: BI | 2009/05/26

Serious Work problems

Hi there.
I' ve had a lapse in my meds for about 2 weeks (I had a problem renewing my prescription), I' ve recently been able to get a 6-month repeat prescription of 150mg Lamictin and and 12.5mg seroquel. I' ve been taking it again for about a week now.
However, I' m going mad. I' m extremely weak, almost paralysed with sadness. I got divorced last year and now my 10 year old son is staying with his father in another province but we maintain contact and also my exhusband and I parted on good terms. So I cannot see how the divorce could now suddenly be affecting me. I' m being paid a monthly settlement and there is not problem with that.
I cannot work. I was off yesterday again, I' m off work quite often and when I' m not I come in at least an hour late.
I cannot do this. I am usualy a dynamic person who takes responsibility for myself and treat my bipolar as just a disorder which can be handled and I can live a relativiely normal life.
But I cannot get an appointment with a psychiatrist until 22 JUNE!!!
I' m dying here. Can I be fired for this? How do I explain that I do enjoy my job but cannot be here on time even?!?!
I' m at a loss. I need help urgently and I want to keep my job, my financial independance....
Help please! I' m so weak and tired, what can I take to give me motivation... I don' t want to even attempt suicide but I' m thinking about it more and more. if I cannot work, I cannot live - what the heck am I doing here!!!!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Psychiatrist: I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad.

You are describing a serious depressive episode and need to see a Psychiatrist urgently. As there are not many Psychiatrists in South Africa, we all do have a waiting period for consultations, but most of us also provide for emergency appointments. Call the Psychiatrist's office again and should there be no earlier appointment I suggest that you go to your GP who can phone a Psychiatrist and get you assessed earlier.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Madcat | 2009/05/26

Sorry - they won' t allow me to post my email address. I really feel for you, I was in exactly the same place as you. Please believe me when I say that it does improve! Find another shrink to go to - some will make an emergency opening, just speak to the receptionist! You need to do this, and soon! I am not suicidal at all, but I also had fleeting thoughts that terrified me! Sorry sweety!! Janine

Reply to Madcat

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.