Question
Posted by: Emmie | 2004/01/12

SERIOUS question re inserts in pill containers

Doc, I have been alarmed often by the inserts in pill containers. No, not their content ... THEIR AGE!! Recently I checked the insert in Pur-Bloka (generic of Inderal) to see whether there could be any interaction with the herbal remedies I take. Shock, Horror! The insert is dated 25 YEARS AGO!! Naturally the info is totally out of date. I wrote to the company concerned, but that was 2 months ago and needless to say, I have received no reply. I've noticed time and again that such pamphlets even in the case of strong, "serious" medications are really dated. IS NO HEALTH BODY CHECKING ON THIS??

Emmie, it¡¦s the job of the medicine control council to check up these things, but if there have been no new side effects reported, they will not make the pharmaceutical companies change the insert. If a new drug is launched, the insert will always tell you whether it may interact with any of the older drugs, but if it¡¦s not a serious interaction, it won¡¦t happen the other way around. You can of course always contact the MCC and voice your concerns. Good luck.