Question
Posted by: worry wart | 2005/07/01

Serious or not......

I have noticed that for the past week, I have blood in my stools. It is quite a fair amount as the toilet water is red with blood. I have no cramping, pain etc although I do sometimes am bothered with piles. Should I be worried? The blood is not black but red as if I am menstruating but have had a hysterectomy. I am wondering if this could be serious and needs to be checked out by my GP.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with diverticulitus and have been taking Colofac and Librax since. I went for a colonscopy about a month ago and all was fine. Doc told me there were no signs of diverticuli and have stopped medication.

Please....help.......

Worry wart, it is probably due to haemorrhoids, but it might also be due to an anal tear or abscess, a fissure, polyps, diverticula, inflammatory bowel diseases and even tumours. The best would be to see your doctor and make sure. Good luck.