Question
Posted by: Synic | 2005/06/29

seretonin levels ...

Hey CS... thanks for sticking it out with us bunch of nutters and weirdo's and freaks.. *grin*

I would like to ask, I know that depressed people have a seretonin (sp ?) imbalance and when you take something like cipralex or cipramil (anit-depresants) then it gets restored to "normal" or better than what it was and that stabilises your moods. Now do you have to keep on taking it for the rest of your life ? I'm not talking about Bi-polar just normal depresion (if you can call it that). I see my shrink every three months and she checks up on me but I was just wondering..

thanks CS !! *loads of hugs*

Hey, Synic ! Compared with some of my colleagues, this is a mild bunch !
As for your question, it varies. In some of us, we have a single nasty attack of Depression, a single course of meds, and we stay fine. In others, there are repeated attacks, as if the chemical imbalance remains unsable, and after 2 or 3 such episodes of depression, it's generally recommended that we stay on the antidepressant long-term. Alternatively, one can stay off the drugs while well, but would have to remain very vigilant to recognize early signs of a new period of depression, so as to start the meds again.