Question
Posted by: sd | 2007/02/26

Septum in Womb

I had a lap a week ago and the doc found a septum im my womb, which he removed.

What is a septum in the womb? Are you borm with it or does it develop over time. Does this hinder your chances of tryimg to conceive. I am trying to conceive, and have had one miscarriage 8 months ago. Would this have been the reason?

Also please tell me what causes a septum in the womb.

Thank you.

Dear SD

Most uterine septums are inherited as a birth anomaly (i.e. present at birth). Depending on the extent of the septum, the manifestations may vary. If a septum is complete or total there may well be problems with recurrent miscarriages, whereas a minimal partial septum may present no problems either with conception or maintaining a pregnancy to term. The fact that the septum has been removed will certainly improve your future obstetrical outcome.