Question
Posted by: A&E;s Mom | 2008/06/17

Seperation Anxiety

My 2 year old daughter has been crying for the past two weeks when I drop her off at school. It starts when I stop at school. It ends up in a screaming scene. This also happens at other places when she sees me go, but when I "disappear" she is fine. Is this Seperation Anxiety and should I be worried? Is there something we can do to make it easier for her (and for us)?

Dear A&E's Mom
This could be a normal phase of seperation anxiety that she is going through but find out from the school if there are any problems with other children bullying her or even a nanny or teacher that she does not feel comfortable with. If it is "normal" seperation anxiety, they will usually stop crying as soon as you are out of eyesight! It usually also just happens for a few months and then get better. It may help you to hide around a corner and watch her calm down immediately when your leave, and then you won't feel so bad!
"Disappearing" is not always such a good idea as it may cause her to feel unsafe, she never knows whether you are going to be there the next time she looks for you! Rather say a formal good bye with a reassurance that you will be coming back at a certain time. You can also put some of your perfume on her hand and tell her to smell her hand if she misses you as a pacifying action.
See also http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/feelings/separation_anxiety.html