Question
Posted by: Keval | 2007/04/02

Separation Anxiety?

Hi. I adopted a 6 year old Golden Retriever (neutered male). He is gorgeous and has brought me delight (cats don't agree - he loves to chase them). I also have a xlabrador who is 5. They get on very well. The GR has a lovely nature, he is friendly (yet protective), gentle and loves to run. But he is very demanding on my attention. He has to push against me (all the time) and doesn't allow my Xlab to come near me (he's not nasty, just moves so that she can't get to me). Twice while I've been visiting my neighbours he has dug a huge hole (big enough for a very large man to get through) between our wooden fences and chewed the fence to get to me. I take him for walks and give him attention, but I'm embarassed and angered by his destructive behaviour. When I take him for walks I take him to the school fields and let him run free - he'll run for a while and then comes back to me and jumps on me or pulls my arms. He'll never go far from me and is devoted to me. He was not abused in the past - I got him from a colleague who immigrated.

DAP vapourizers have been used to good effect in the treatment of separation anxiety. They are plugged in in the room/s that the dog spends most time in. There is also a productr calle dClomicalm that is very useful. Your vet will be able to advise you on which or both to use.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/02

Don't get me wrong here but you need to pay the dog less attention - he's a dominant dog who is pushing your buttons and you're responding.

What's called for here is the ignore treatment - only interact with him on your terms, and calmly at all times. That means no shouting, no commanding, no reprimanding if he comes to you - just pretend he doesn't exist, do not even look at him.

Wait a few minutes, then call him to you and make a fuss.

Only make a fuss when YOU initiate interaction - he must learn that he's subservient to you, not vice versa.

He'll be mighty confused in the beginning, but he'll soon figure it out, because what I've described is dog language which he will understand.

For more information read 'Living with an Alien' by Pam Whyte. Full of interesting info.

Reply to Chill