Question
Posted by: B | 2008/07/11

Sensitive skin and eyes

I have very sensitive skin and eyes. Everything I have tried so far makes my eyes burn and some of them make my face itch. I avoid the area around my eyes when I put moisturisers on and wash my hands immediately afterwards but it does not help. In fact if I put cream on my leggs my eyes end up burning. I only use aqueous soap to wash my face as face washes also make me itch (almost like a burning sensation). I have given up hope with moisturisers so don't use anything, but my face feels dry and tight for half the day after washing. My cheeks have a permanent "blush" from the dryness. Products I have tried over the years include, Clinique, Dermalogica, Dove, Avon, Avroy Shlain, Oil of Olay, Regim A, Ponds, can't remember any others but all a huge waste of money as my eyes start to burn within days of starting to use them and then I have to toss them. I do use a bit of regular aqueous cream if my skin is very dry which does not burn my eyes but becomes very greasy.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ‘B’, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be to consult with a dermatologist who can examine the skin and decide on the appropriate treatment. Furthermore, I would see an ophthalmologist for an eye examination, to determine the reason for the excessive sensitivity.
The blush you describe may be a sign of underlying medical problems such as Rosacea which can lead to dry eyes and conjunctivitis/blepharitis; types of eczema (seborrheic dermatitis) may have a similar presentation; and various drugs may cause the symptoms you are describing.
In the interim I would consider using Epimax as your moisturizer as it is aqueous based but is less greasy.