Question
Posted by: Johnny | 2003/02/03

Sensitive penis during sex.

Hi Doc,

I am a 31 year old male. When having sex, my penis feels extremely sensitive so that climax is reached allmost directly after penetration. After climax is reached there is no trying again for my penis is then much more sensitive and an erection is out of the question. It is real imbarrasing and sex is not enjoyable for me. With masturbation it is not the case and can go on for much longer. What can I do to make my penis less sensitive and having real, longlasting, enjoyable sex. Not just to satisfy me, but also my partner.

Please help.

Johnny

Johnny, it sounds like you might be suffering from premature ejaculation. In the adult man, anything that causes anxiety or stress when intercourse is attempted can cause premature ejaculation.
The easiest way to treat it is to increase the opportunities for ejaculation as this may decrease sexual tension. Another option is the stop-start technique with or without the squeeze technique. Basically this means you have intercourse/masturbate until you feel an orgasm coming on. You then cease all stimulation for 30 seconds. You repeat this for 3 times and then allow ejaculation. If you move to close to the “point of no return”, you squeeze the penis hard just below the glans (this will stop you from having an orgasm). With time you will learn to control your ejaculation (works in >95% of cases). When you make love you can also put on 2 condoms and in that way decrease the sensitivity. In the other 5% drugs like Anafranil® and psychotherapy can be tried.
There are buckets full of alternative "therapies" available ranging from the entertaining to the absurd to the down right dangerous. The important thing is that when attempting to cure premature ejaculation, you have to make sure that it doesn't ruin making love for you and your partner.
In the end you have to remember that it’s not bad for your health, but it might be for your self-esteem and that most men may have an episode or two of premature ejaculation, but few have a chronic problem with it.