Question
Posted by: Concerned mother | 2004/10/15

Sensitive child

Hi there,

My 10 year old boy seems slightly depressed from time to time. He doesn't enjoy family trips (like to a park) and it mostly ends in an argument. He is quite good with his brother, 2 years, but I sometimes wonder if he is jealous.
He's very lazy with schoolwork although he is not doing too bad. He seems like a perfectionist (I am also in a way). He also get obsessive about things like playstation, and cars. These are the only things he talks about. I used to suffer from depression years ago and he saw me after an attempted suicide. Should I take him for counselling or will the love and support that we are now able to provide be sufficient.

COuld be jealous, or just a different personality type than you're used to. If you're consistently worried, take him to see a child psychoplogist for assessment and specific advice. As a perfectionist, maybe he pulls back from schoolwork where he doesn't think his performance will be good enough. The love and support you're providing will probably be more than enough. But, as I say, if you feel worried, a session with a child shrink, could be worth it, to reassure yourself and him.