Question
Posted by: JA | 2003/02/17

Semen problems

Hello CyberDoc. For a while now I have been noticing inconsistencies in the texture of my sperm. It is generally very fluid as it should be, but I have noticed small clumps and semi-solid, jelly like globules within it. Is this normal or not? What sort of profeesional help should I get? Must I have a fertility test done? I have never suffered from any STDs and have been in a faithful single partner relationship for 2 years now.

You can send a Semen sample to the laboratory for Semen Analysis, but you must have a doctor that can interpret the results. So best to see your GP and discuss the problem. There are many reasons why semen can alter its consistency. The most common antecedents are changes in diet, change in exercise, or a change in tightness of clothing around the genitals (tight pants or briefs). Exercising and wearing tight clothing can increase the heat of the scrotum, changing sperm motility and potentially, semen consistency as well. If you were also experiencing a discharge, or pain with urination then it would advisable to get tested for sexually transmitted infections. However, change in semen consistency on its own is not considered abnormal or dangerous. Keep talking to your GP if you continue to be concerned.