Question
Posted by: Navz | 2007/04/11

Semen Analysis - Biopsy Pls Help!!!!!!!!

Pls can u help me, I am a 27 year old male have been married for 4 years. My wife was on clomid for the pass 5 months no success that's when our gynae decided that I should go for a check up.

I was then referred to an Urologist who suggested I do a semen analysis. My Urologist is not happy with the results. He suggested I go to theater to examine my testicles to see exactly what's wrong. Not sure if this procedure is a biopsy. Pls can u assist me has anyone went for this procedure b4. What are my chances afterwards

Colour Whitish - Grey
Debris None
PH 9.0
Volume 4 ml
Viscosity Normal
Motility - Too few to assess
Morphology - Too few to assess
Four Spermatozoa observed per high power field

Dear Navz

Based on the results I believe that it is not absolutely necessary for a biopsy to be done at this point in time I would recommend as a matter of urgency that several sperm samples be collected and frozen for future use. The importance of this is that if this condition is progressively deteriorating one may reach a point where there be no sperm production at all in the ejaculate and therefore the only alternative would be a testicular biopsy. If a testicular biopsy proves to be negative i.e. no sperm or precursors obtained then the likelihood of conception is significantly compromised. In any event, the need for the biopsy is purely one of diagnosis and will not solve a fertility problem perse. There will always be a need to do ICSI (intra cytoplasmic sperm injection) as a treatment for the fertility problem.