Question
Posted by: PV | 2007/03/19

Semen analysis

Dear Dr Cassim

Last year I suffered for a few months with a rare conditions called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). The illness impacted me to the extent that I in certain instances was immobile due to the severe joint aches. Subsequently I have recovered from it. However during this period I was on different medication. Some doctors assumed I was suffering my arthritis and put me on heavy arthritic medication, all be it not for extended period possibly 1 month.

I was married in April 2006 and recently (i.e since June last year) my wife and myself have been trying to fall pregnant, unsuccessfully. We assumed that the delay in her falling pregnant was due possibly herself. Our recent visit to the gynaecologist proved that this was wrong because she is ovulating.

However, 2 weeks ago I did a sperm test and came across these results today. Herewith I attached these results. Can you suggest anything that can assist us in her falling pregnant.

Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

PV

Test Result Reference

CHARACTERISTICS OF EJACULATE
----------------------------
> ABSTINENCE 3 days 2 - 7
> COMPLETENESS Yes
> APPEARANCE Grey-white
> VOLUME 5.0 ml 1.5 - 6.0
> LIQUIFACTION Complete
> VISCOSITY 5 mm 0 - 30
> pH 7.9 7.0 - 8.5

WET PREPARATION
---------------
> SPERM CONCENTRATION 7.2 mill/ml L 20.0 - 250.0
> TOTAL SPERM COUNT 36.0 mill L > 40
> ROUND CELLS 1.0 mill/ml < 1.0
> LEUCOCYTES 1 mill/ml < 1.0
> ERYTHROCYTES 0.0 mill/ml < 0.1

MOTILITY
--------
> FUNCTIONAL MOTILITY 9 % L 50 - 100
> A: FAST PROGRESSIVE 0 %
> B: SLOW PROGRESSIVE 9 %
> C: NON-PROGRESSIVE 10 %
> D: IMMOTILE 81 %
> FORWARD PROGRESSION 1 (Sluggish)
> MOTILITY INDEX 33 L 300 - 1000

ANTIBODY SCREEN
---------------
> ANTIBODY SCREEN % 0 - 50
Sperm motility too low to assess this parameter.

MORPHOLOGY
----------
> NORMAL FORMS 4 % L 15 - 100
> SMALL/ABSENT ACROSOMES 18 %
> TAPERED/ELONGATED FORMS 4 %

> COMMENT
Oligo-, severe astheno- as well as teratozoospermic
ejaculate.

> EVALUATION
Probably infertile ejaculate.

Dear PV

It appears that your infertility is caused by a male factor problem. I suggest you see a fertility specialist or a urologist to see if anything can be done to improve the semen parameters. If it does not improve you will benefit from either IUI or IVF. A 4% morphology, the best chances of conception is with IVF /ICSI

6
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/08

Hi I had a semen analysis done and the below where the results. What is the Best way to conceive. Regards TJ CHARACTERISTICS OF EJACULATE ---------------------------- > ABSTINENCE 2 days 2 - 7 > COMPLETENESS Yes > APPEARANCE Grey-yelloe > VOLUME 2.9 ml 1.5 - 6.0 > LIQUIFACTION Complete > VISCOSITY 10 mm 0 - 30 > pH 8.1 7.0 - 8.5 WET PREPARATION --------------- > SPERM CONCENTRATION 19mill/ml 20.0 - 250.0 > TOTAL SPERM COUNT 55.1mill > 40 > ROUND CELLS 1.0 mill/ml < 1.0 > LEUCOCYTES 0 mill/ml < 1.0 > ERYTHROCYTES 0.0 mill/ml < 0.1 MOTILITY -------- > FUNCTIONAL MOTILITY 50% 50 - 100 > FORWARD PROGRESSION 2 (moderate) > MOTILITY INDEX 210 L 300 - 1000 ANTIBODY SCREEN --------------- > ANTIBODY SCREEN 0 % MORPHOLOGY ---------- > NORMAL FORMS 3 % L 15 - 100 > COMMENT teratozoospermic ejaculate.

Posted by: lindi | 2007/03/23

during our recent visit to the doctor, she said that one of m yovaries are lying right at back. She tried to move it, and says that it moved to some degree. She said that it could be endometriosis but there could be other poosibilities as well. my husband and i have been trying for almost a year and thus the doctor decided to have both me (ovulation test) and my husband tested (sperm count). she also said that if he was okay then i might have to do a lapropscopy to see if there are any problems,however, his sperm count was low. she then refered him to urologist. No mention has been made about me as yet. what do i do? do i wait for his treatment to begin or should i be proactive in terms of going for the lapropscopy? i am terribly afraid after she said that my ovary is lying at the back. also i have always had very painful periods! please advise me.

Reply to lindi
Posted by: NJ | 2007/03/22

Hi Dee, can you email it to me as well
njohnson at polka dot co dot za

Reply to NJ
Posted by: Dee | 2007/03/20

No prob, I'm sending it to you now. I have a ton of stuff on sperm!

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Cyndi | 2007/03/20

Hi Dee, Im sorry to butt in but i was wondering if you could perhaps email me the documentation on suppliments to increase sperm quality as well - if you wouldnt mind? My husband found out yesterday that he to has a low sperm count. I would greatly and truely appreciate it.
Thanks a million!!

cyndiATshephardandjonesDOTcom

Reply to Cyndi
Posted by: Dee | 2007/03/19

hey there,
Unfortunately your sperm test is not too good. You have a low count, motility and morphology and may be the reason your wife has not fallen pregnant yet.

But dont worry there are lots of things you can do to improve the quality and quantity - firstly switch to boxers or no underwear at all. Briefs are too tight. Dont have hot baths/saunas, only shower and dont make the water too hot. Heat is very bad for sperm. Give up cycling if that is a sport you do, give up drinking excessively, especially if you drink beer and stop smoking. You can also try some supplements, take 1000mg Vit C a day, 400Iu Vit E, Omega 3,6,9, folic acid and an antioxidant such as lycopene or CoEnzyme Q10. You can also take an amino acid called L-arginie or L-carnitine and zinc and selenium supplements. I have a document of all the supplements a man can take to improve his sperm quality, if you would like me to send it to you please leave your email address.

It takes alot of hard work but worth it in the end. Best of luck!

Reply to Dee