Question
Posted by: Me | 2004/01/29

Selfdestructive behaviour

I've received treatment for Depression for the last two years. First I was diagnosed as being manic depressive, later the doctors weren't sure about the the manic part of it. I've seen several Pchyciatrists and Phycologists. I've tried cipramil, endronax, remeron, effexor,aropax,limictin in various cobinations. Some of these treatments work for a while and later start fading. I've even tried Shocktherapy. Am concerned that there might be some underlying mental problem. I get selfdestructive when i'm down and wonder whether something might have happened to me that I can't recall. Would hynosis work to find out what causes it? I want to find the cause of my problem and resolve it. Treating the symtoms isn't good enough...please advice.

Hypnosis absolutely NEVER helps in a situation like this, and in someone with self-destructive behaviour can be realyl dangerous --- so set that idea aside.
What can help, is psychotherapy, especally the COgnitive / CBT variety, that examines closely the range of conclusions you have drawn about yourself and life, tests them for usefulness and fruitfulness, and helps you to reject those that are illogical and unhelpful, and to revise them so that they prove to be reliable and helpful. it ca be very useful in situations like this. And remember that it can be profitable to combine a carefulyl chosen antidepressant or similar medication with such psychotherapy, for the best results, as when one is deeply depressed, one usually isn't very good at logical thinking !

1
Posted by: Jage | 2004/01/30

Shock therapy????? Are you crazy????? How can sending 10 000 volts thro your brain help??????? They did this in concentration camps way back as torture to prisoners. Shock therapy is the most deadly, irreversible, dangerous, unhealthy, non-productive treatment ever done and anyone recommending it should be given the same treatment and a double dose of it too! Do yourself a favour and hire the video One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - may come as a bit of a shock but it's true!

Reply to Jage