Question
Posted by: Rudi | 2008/05/22

Self-pain

What does a parent do to help his child who "suffers" from self-inflicted pain?

The girl needs expert psychiatric / psychological help ; such self-cutting is always a sign of deep personal distress which they are finding difficult to communicate to others. Oddly enough as it may seem to others, such cutting is usually not experienced as painful, but more of a relief of psycholiogical pain or nothingness.

3
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/05/22

drag her to a shrink. thats what my parents did 7 years ago and it made me eventually stop. they did it to me again a year ago. she needs help, she just doesnt know it yet. trust me, i know. love her enough to let her hate you when you make her go to the doc.

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Rudi | 2008/05/22

I am asking on behalf of a neighbour. I do not have all the detail.

However, it is physical. The daughter is cutting herself with blades. She has not been speaking to her mother for months. Maybe I should rather find out more.

Thanks, Maria, for replying.

Reply to Rudi
Posted by: Maria | 2008/05/22

Rudi, can you give a bit more detail? Is the pain physical and/or psychological?

Reply to Maria