Posted by: Rudi | 2008/05/22


What does a parent do to help his child who "suffers" from self-inflicted pain?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

The girl needs expert psychiatric / psychological help ; such self-cutting is always a sign of deep personal distress which they are finding difficult to communicate to others. Oddly enough as it may seem to others, such cutting is usually not experienced as painful, but more of a relief of psycholiogical pain or nothingness.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/05/22

drag her to a shrink. thats what my parents did 7 years ago and it made me eventually stop. they did it to me again a year ago. she needs help, she just doesnt know it yet. trust me, i know. love her enough to let her hate you when you make her go to the doc.

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Rudi | 2008/05/22

I am asking on behalf of a neighbour. I do not have all the detail.

However, it is physical. The daughter is cutting herself with blades. She has not been speaking to her mother for months. Maybe I should rather find out more.

Thanks, Maria, for replying.

Reply to Rudi
Posted by: Maria | 2008/05/22

Rudi, can you give a bit more detail? Is the pain physical and/or psychological?

Reply to Maria

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.