Question
Posted by: annie | 2004/10/15

self inflicting pain

Posted by: Annie
Message:
Dear Doc, My daughter is 14 and in grade 8. Since going to high school there has been tremendous changes. She has always been a bit of a demanding and slighly moody individual but lately there is some strange behaviour. Without my permission at the beginning of the year she pearced a belly ring. OK, I gave her the speech and left it at that, She breaks her things in order to get new once e.g. her cell phone, she is lately telling all kinds of lies. I cought her out 5 days after piercing her tong. She did it herself with an ear stud, but didnt pierce the tong itself but the little piece of flesh under the tong. She took the stud out and promised never to do it again. Yesterday she lost her belly ring and simply replaced it with a piece of steel. The spot is not slighly inflamed. And to add to that I noticed she was acting strangely and I asked her to open her mouth to which she at first refused, Just to find that same piece of steel under the tong. When I woke her this morning she seemed very slow and having difficulty in responding. She could barely lift her arms and I asked her what's wrong, to which she replied, nothing, I switched on her light and found a burn mark just above her Pulse about 7 cm long. She couldnt remember how it happened or when, and then just simply said, burnt with the kettle or something cant remember when. That was definately not a hot water burn mark as it was a long line about 3mm thick. She has been acting agresive and is totally disrespectful. She is also extremely untidy on herself. She's always been a tough cookie and I respected the fact that she has a mind of her own. Is this normal behaviour for teens these days? What do you suggest I do?
Date: 15/10/2004

See a child shrink for advice if this continues to worry you. But don't you need to sharpen up on the discipline ? If my daughter had the cheek to break a cellphone because she WANTED a new one ( nobody NEEDS a new cell phone ) you can be sure we would never buy her another --- she'd have to save up for it herself, with money she earned by real actual work.
Some kids do go through this ugly, aggressive phase, and it may be mercifully brief, or annoyingly wrong. That's where a child psychologist could assess, to be sure there's nothing more sinister going on, then advise you on behaviour techniques to start getting things right again.

1
Posted by: Jackadeejack | 2004/10/17

I took someone to this doc the other day, she is really nice, very good (ok.. expensive too). She specializes in kids under 18.
She is Dr Faul at Denmar Pretoria

Reply to Jackadeejack