Posted by: LM | 2003/12/12


Ek sny myself met lemmetjies en my psigiater het gese as ek nie self kan ophou om dit te doen nie, is daar medikasie wat my moontlik kan help (ek dink dit blok die endorfiene wat afgeskei word as mens sny). Ek dink die medikasie se naam het met 'n R begin. Weet u dalk waarvan sy gepraat het?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Dear LM,
Some years ago I did some research on this matter of self-cutting, so I maybe understand it a bit better than some. Although I keep my eyes open for new treatment developments, I have seen no good studies or research about ANY medicaton which blocks endorphins being successful in treating this problem, proving to be effective. Your psychiatrist may be planning, as is reasonable, to try a medication not yet proved to reliably help most people with this condition, based on a theory of his. IT may indeed help you, and could be worth trying. But there is not as yet a generally recognized drug reatment for self-cutting.
If you go ahead and try this, give it a fair chance, and do, please, return to this forum with a fresh message, and let us know if and how it helps you, as such information could be useful to others.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Partner of self cutter | 2003/12/15

I have found some good advice on websites. Just do a search. One way is to try less painful and less visible ways as a substitute. Like snapping an elastic band often around your wrist, or holding an ice cube until it is painful. Just remember that it is a compulsive behaviour and only behavioural change threapy can help. I think it is called Dialectic Behavioural Therapy. Ask about it. It can help you to notice the signs leading up to self harm, and then try and change the outcome. Good luck!

Reply to Partner of self cutter

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.