Question
Posted by: waterblom | 2005/07/25

self esteem

Dear CS,
Thank you for always answering our questions. What would we do without you.?
My question is, we all know about depression and serotonin levels. But why is it that depression and low self esteem usually go together as well.?
Do have a nice day.

Well, some people have a low self-esteem anyway. Either what self-esteem they had was damaged by someone or people in their lives, always saying bad things about them and discouraging them, or for similar reasons, maybe they never got enough positive encouragement about themselves, to form much self-esteem in the first place. But even people with good self-esteem, often feel much less so when they develop a depression, as part of the wide range of effects a depression can have --- it makes you feel less hopeful, and less positive about everything, and gives you a highly unrealistic and negative assessment of the world and everything in it, including yourself. This latter form of loss of self-respect is in some ways easier to treat, by simply treating the Depression effectively ; the former, more basic lack of self-respect may need more skilled treatment in counselling, but can also be greatly helped, especially by the CBT I usually recommend.

2
Posted by: waterblom | 2005/07/26

It is the basic form of low selfesteem that interest me.
Any one here tried CBT.?

Reply to waterblom
Posted by: Shakira | 2005/07/25

Excellent question, would be keen to find out the answer to this one...

Reply to Shakira