Posted by: Karin | 2008/10/21

Self destructive

I am a married women with children.A few years ago I was raped by two unknown men and went through the necessary treatments and saw a psychologist at the local hospital. luckily I did not contract Aids and I thought I was over what happened. I have since then sometimes cheated four times on my husband and put myself in some dangerous situations.I also drink a lot and hate myself.I have a good man and he does' nt know or maybe he knows about the things I do, but I feel as if I am going to destroy myself and afterwards i feel dirty and ashamed, but when I am drunk I feel and act differently I am a disgrace to my husband and children.I need help.

Its not at all uncommon for trauma like this to affect you behaviourally and psychologically some time later. The cheating and dangerous situations is of course risky and needs to stop ; sounds like your hating yourself ( and acting so as to give yourself reasons to hate yourself ) may be related to the rape. DO see a good local shrink for proper and full assessment and help, which ought to include psychotherapy, perhaps CBT counselling, to sort out all the issues still left over from the rape.