Question
Posted by: JUSTIN | 2008/01/15

SELF CONTROLL

I POSTED THIS ON THE SUBSTANCE ABUSE PAGE REGARDING MY BEHAVIOUR AND TOLD TO GET A PSYCOLOGICAL OPINION,IM 22 FAIRLY SUCCESFUL HOWEVER WHEN I DRINK I GET OUT OF CONTROL.I OFTEN WAKE UP WITH MEMORY LOSS AS TO WHAT HAPPENED THE PREVIOUS NIGHT,SOBER I AM WELL MANNERED POLITE AND TIMID HOWEVER AFTER A FEW THAT ALL CHANGES OFTEN WITH VERY AGGERESSIVE AND HOSTILE BEHAVIOUR TOWARDS PEOPLE I CARE ABOUT,I HAVE LOST MANY FRIENDS AND CLOSE RELATIVES DUE TO MY INNAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOUR,SO I STOPPED DRINKING ALL TOGETHER AND HAVE BEEN SOBER FOR 3 WEEKS NOW.THE THING IS IM SCARED OF THE PERSON IM BECOMING,IM SCARED AT THE FACT THAT I DONT HAVE CONTROLL OF MY LIFE,IM SCARED THAT ONE DAY I MIGHT JUST LAPSE INTO SOME KIND OF ERATIC BEHAVIOR THAT MIGHT HURT ME OR WORSE STILL THOSE AROUND ME,I STILL HAVE URGES TO DRINK BUT I FIND STRENGTH IN PRAYER,DO I NEED THERAPY TO TRY AND GET SOME CONTROLL OVER MY LIFE CAUSE IT SEEMS EVEN SOBER I CANT CONFIDENTLY SAY I KNOW WHAT IM DOING,PLEASE ADVISE

Whatever the actual quantum of alcohol you may be consuming in these sessions, if it affects you in this way, it is too much for you. You are wise indeed to have stopped drinking ( it's not essential in life) Why not explore and find a good local CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) shrink, with whom you can regain control over these aspecrts of your life, and perhaps also enable yourself to become less timid and more assertive without being aggressive, and without any alcohol needing to be involved.

2
Posted by: Funkyheart | 2008/01/15

Phone AA and join a group it will help you get control of yourself again

Reply to Funkyheart
Posted by: Justin | 2008/01/15

You say you find strength in prayer. Hats off to you. Just give this all to Jesus and don't take it back by worrying about or thinking about it. Give it to Him and let it go.

You will make this through. Remember all things thru Christ.

Reply to Justin