Question
Posted by: Vanessa | 2004/11/24

Seizures and Fast foods?

Hi doc, my 13 year old son started having seizures in July of this year. After the first seizure he was admitted to hospital and all the relevant scans etc were done - all of which came back normal. The specialist treating him in hospital put him on epilepsy meds for 2 years - this merely because he could not find what caused the seizure. However I did not and still do not believe that my son suffers from epilepsy. I made the decision to take him off the meds after he was discharged. My son has had three more seizures since then but the strange thing is that he has only had them on Sundays and only after eating KFC or other chicken take aways on the preceding Friday night. Could Monosodium Glutamate and/or steroids that are being pumped into chickens be causing the seizures? Maybe I am wrong but where do I go from here as it appears to me that it is the norm to put a child on potent medication for 2 years rather than find the real cause? Please help.

Vanessa, I suppose anything is possible, but it is not common for people to have an convulsion after having KFC. I also doubt that your doctor put your son on epilepsy drugs because he didn’t feel like looking for a cause, it is probably more a case of not being able to find a cause and it is better to prevent another convulsion than to keep on looking for a cause and risking another convulsion. Maybe the best would be to get a second opinion from a different neurologist. Good luck.