Question
Posted by: Dea | 2008/01/16

Seizure medication and pregnancy

Dear GynaeDoc,

I am very confused at the moment. I really want to have a baby soon, but I am taking seizure medication (Keppra) at the moment, have been for 5 years now, and will probably for the rest of my life. I am really scared of having to stop taking it when I fall pregnant that I will get seizures. I've also read somewhere that some doctors recommend taking the meds instead of getting seizures which may be more harmful to the baby than the meds.
What is the real truth about this? Im also not allowed to use Tegretol which a lot of doctors prescribe during pregnancy as this medicaiton can worsen my epilepsy. I've had only one seizure, which was in 2003.

There is evidence that Keppra can cause abnormlaities in animals though there is no adequate data on humans. Is there not another antiepileptic whihc you could use, such as Phenobarb or Phenytoin?