Posted by: Rië tte | 2008/11/26

Seer - voor langs been

Jammer vir die vraag in Afrikaans - antwoord gerus in Engels. Ek het die laaste paar dae seer reg langs my shinbeen as ek daarop druk. Is daar ' n spier wat moontlik seer kan wees en as dit so is is dan wys om die treadmill te gebruik - ek doen gewoonlik 20 minute met intervals van stap, draf en hardloop. Baie dankie

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Riette

No problem, sorry for the answer in English!

Difficult to say with injuries on this forum, because it's obviously impossible for me to ask you questions and get answers back. For example, is it on the inside of the shin or the outside? That is important, because the outside, on the muscle, is a different problem to the inside, on the bone, so I am not sure without actually knowing this (and other) details.

What I suspect has happened though is that your walking has aggravated the muscle, and you're now getting some pain there because the muscles and the tendons and all the tissue that connects the muscles to the bones gets irritated. That can happen for a number of reasons. Perhaps you recently started to run a little more than you walk, or you began running faster than usual. Or longer than usual? All these things can cause this problem, and it's very difficult to know the cause without doing some detective work.

My advice is that you need a couple of days of rest, just to let that irritation go away, then start up again, but back off by 20%, especially the speed that you walk. And see what happens. If it happens again, then my advice is that you need to see a physio about it, and have it properly diagnosed. But if you are cautious, and start training nice and easy, 20% slower and less than normal, then you might find that it never comes back. It's all about testing the limits, finding out where your limit exists and then backing off it.

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.