Posted by: Dizzy Des | 2004/12/09

Seeking help

I am a 23 year old female living in CPT. I have felt unhappy for as long as I remember. I have attempted suicide over the course of a few years and right now I just don't know how much longer I can go on like this. I have tried everything to control this myself but I have reached the point where I need to see a psychiatrist. Is there anyone you could recommend???? My problem is also paying for a psychiatrist. My medical aid will not cover a lot of visits - perhaps 2 or 3 a year - and I cannot afford to pay for them privately. Ideally I would like to see a psychiatrist for an initial consultation, received medication and have 1 or 2 follow ups during the year.

Alternatively - is there any medication over the counter that you can recommend?????

Dizzy Des

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I'm sure you are right and wise to decide to see a psychiatrist to clarify and sort out your problems. We don't, for many excellent reasons, recommnd specific shrinks on this site. Wanting a good shrink, and being limited in funding, why not explore the possibilities of seeing someone at one of your two loval medical Schools, Steppenbosch or UCT, which have some excellent folks on their Psychiatry Dept staff, who should see you at a cost related to income. And once a good diagnosis has been made, and the right treatment identified, then things could probably be managed under your medical aid scheme thereafter.
There is nothing available over-the-counter which is effective in treating a significant degree of depression. And check out your medical aid's provisions for chronic illness coverage, which ought to include Depression

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Dizzy Des | 2004/12/10

Thank you all very much for your comments!!! It's great to know people do still care :)

Dizzy Des

Reply to Dizzy Des
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/10

Hi Dizzy Des,

Well now it seems you have so many options available to you & I'm glad about this. CS does raise a very valid point about the universities, as seeing as they are always reviewing & testing best methods, you might just get the best treatment available.

Kay, I could never take over from CS. He is one in a million & very respected in his suggestions. Besides, he is more dependable than even I could ever be. But I am flattered though, thank you.

Enjoy your day,

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Dude | 2004/12/09

Hi Dizzy Des,

Hope it all works out 4 u, CS gave the most cost effective way on gettin treatment, now days most shrinks r only interested in ur mula...

hope u focus on better things that can give u that inner smile... all the best and wishin u well...


Reply to Dude
Posted by: Kay | 2004/12/09

Shaun, I honestly think you could do this as a full time job and take over from CS ...... You are just the sweetest man ! Hope your wife knows how lucky she is to have someone as open as you. Not many men out there that express themselves including mine !

Reply to Kay
Posted by: CK | 2004/12/09

You could also try a counsellor for free of charge, call lifeline for example.

Medical aid wont cover a lot of visit.

Reply to CK
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/09

Hi DD,

As you seem to be fighter I would suggest giving up on the idea of suicide for a while. What I can suggest on the medical aid side is that maybe you contact your medical aid & ask about their procedures for covering chronic conditions & what needs to be done to apply for this. I know that there are a basic number of chronic conditions that are required to be covered by law. Not too sure but it's about 24/26 conditions. Try get hold of this list, then look for a counsellor who you may seem to have made a good opinion of. On your first visit, discuss the possibility of chronic cover, & the whether it can be done. Discuss all your other issues, & I am sure that you may build you own impression of this counsellor.
Make an effort to get it all out in the open, so that you thereafter can concentrate on your effort to work on yourself. If possible then you can make all your applications towards chronic cover & hope for approval. Thereafter maybe even the sessions you require could be worked into the cover.

I'm really not sure if this will work, but it could be an option available to you. At the same time I hope you have seen that it is possible to see things differently when you take the chance to put your feelings out there.

Although CS is against recommending any counsellors, I'm sure he will give you more feedback as to what you could do.


Reply to Shaun

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.