Posted by: Nic | 2006/07/31

See-Saw weight


For health reasons I took it upon myself to lose weight and get fit. My BMI catagorises me as "Obese". I have always been the fat kid so it's a life-long problem I'm trying to beat here.

In January, I started going to gym 3 times a week and eating a more healthy diet. It was great becuase I could actually see the weight coming off. I lost about 5Kg or so and was well on my way to reaching the goal of losing 15Kg by the end of the year.

Then I hit a snag. Despite my lifestyle changes, I began putting weight back on. And I'm almost back to my heaviest-ever weight that I weighed at the beginning of the year.

It's tough for me to lose weight. It's not 8 months later and I think I managed to lose 1 or 2 Kg, I'm sure that's not right...?

Could this be another problem? Maybe my Thyroid? Or am I really missing the point somehwere?

Please help. I'm getting dispondent.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Nic
It is possible that the more healthy diet you use, is still not sufficiently energy-reduced to really promote weight loss. I can only suggest that you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet and compare it with what you are eating and make the necessary changes. If after a month you are still not losing weight then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup and ask the dr to test your thyroid, insulin and female hormones to see if there are any imbalances which could be preventing weight loss. If you should suffer from insulin resistance then you need to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that he/she can work out the correct diet for you which will help with the insulin resistance and promote weight loss.
Hang in there

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.