Question
Posted by: Liza | 2004/10/25

See I'm not the only one that was gone

The seven weeks in open plan office, topped with a major catastrophe at work (which I initially thought was my fault, turned out it wasn't, but did not make me feel much better after finding out) finally took its toll and my psychiatrist had me admitted. First week was terrible. First I shared a room with 2 snorers. Then when I asked to move, they moved me in with 5 other women - one who's cellphone rang at 03h00 in the morning. After this week I was totally nuts and told my psychiatrist to discharge me. The following monday (11/10) I was back with my tail between my legs with a request that I NOT get put into a big room again. Unfortunately no private rooms available, but at least I got into a 2 bed room. Sleep! finally! On a side note - don't take Rivotril as well as Imovane when trying to sleep. Somehow those two worked against each other in my body and caused me to wake up numerous times during the night. The poor night sister got such a fright when she opened our room door and I practically jumped out of the bed (the door handle squeaked). A visit from my own sister with the necessary equipment (screw-driver and prolong oil) and the door handle didn't squeak anymore. Much better. Then the guy in the room opposite (unisex ward) started taking an interest. Initially I thought he was weird and slow - then realized he was weird in exactly the same ways as what I am, and that if I were on the medication he is on, I would be slow too. So now we're friends. Hopefully study-buddies too since we're studying for the same degree and we're basically at the same stage of our studies. I'm a bit scared that he wants more out of the relationship, but mmmmm. Maybe I found my soul-mate in a psychiatric ward. This is rather funny-ironic. Just the kind of thing that would happen to me.

Well, first day back at work today after the 3 weeks 'inside' and I'm feeling rather happy. Must still confront my boss with the 'issues' I have with her though. Not quite sure whether my list is complete yet. Will schedule time for that tomorrow. Today I first had to wade through all 2503 e-mails, plus get my PC in a semi-working state again since it crashed just before I left and had to be completely built over. Another good thing - no more open-plan. We know have wonderful cubicles - with our backs to a wall. No-one can sneak up on me now - hehe.

For now the suicide thoughts and plans are gone, I'm not putting on an act when laughing anymore and that group session on positive thinking is really helping. Plus I got to make almost everyone a leather key-holder during occupational therapy.

Hope you're all holding up and together. I am - and will continue if my boss can agree to my suggestions (read demands) on a more structured approach to working. Will have to put that group session on assertiveness to work!

Cheers for now - will visit more often

Liza

Well, good riddance to the cublicles ! Good to here you moved to some serious treatment and are eventually feeling somewhat better. Sorry to hear about the initial sleeping problems, and pleased that the screwdriver and oil were needed for the door handle, and not the patients. Sounds like you've met a pleasantly weird guy with similar interrests : maybe just make it pleasantly clear to him that while you're in the mood for a pal, you're not ale to face anything more deep and profound just yet. . And sounds like you're on your way towards sorting things out at work, too. Well done. Delighted to hear of all the progress you have made. Congratulations.

3
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/26

Your post brought a smile to my face - firstly because it's always good to hear someone is getting better and on the up and up - and secondly, because you have a rather humourous way of writing. I imagined the scenes, and had a good laugh to myself.
Welcome back.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Liza | 2004/10/26

Thanks BT!

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2004/10/26

Welcome back and I am glad you got something out of this. May it continue to get better and may your boss be open to your suggestions.

Good luck.
Take care.

Reply to Beyond Tired