Question
Posted by: Just Wondering... | 2004/01/06

See a gynae before marriage?

Hi there! I am a man a as a result of that I have very little knowledge of gynaecologists and the role that they play in a woman's life. Lately, I have been browsing through numerous websites that provide advice on how to plan a wedding, and on one of these sites I read something I never knew and wondered about. The site said that a woman should go and see her gynae four months before the actual marriage date. Why is this so? Is this absolutely essential? Would you, in your experience, say that the average woman do indeed go see a gynae before they get married? Actually, what I want to know, is what is typically the purpose of such a visit? What will be discussed at such a visit? Please can someone assist me in this regard. I believe that these are actually things a man should know about too. Thank you very much.

A woman should start seeing a gynaecologist when she becomes sexually active. If you are not planning to be sexualy active before your marriage, then the only reason for seeing a gynaecologist would be to discuss contraception.

2
Posted by: www | 2004/01/06

Most women do not go to see a gynaecologist specifically before they get married. It used to be something that was done to check things like fertility and if the woman is a virgin, to check whether any problems are anticipated when she does have intercourse etc. Also contraception would be discussed. This is what I think.

However, these days because of the different culture (ie, most women, not all, do have sexual intercourse before they get married) women should be going for an annual pap smear to check for abnormal cells in the cervix. If a woman does have problems with abnormal or irregular periods or wants to discuss options for contraception, then it warrants a visit to the gynaecologist, but I don't think by any means it should be something you insist on before marrying her.

Reply to www
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/06

I would say the only reasons would be to discuss your options should your period be around your wedding time or honeymoon time. If a women is due to have her period on her wedding day, she can start the pill a few months before and around the wedding time manipulate her period so as to not have it on her wedding day.

I also think she could discuss falling pregnant etc. But it is not essential. A woman should start seeing a gynae when she becomes sexually active. If she isn't already sexually active, she doesn't really need to see the gynae but may feel that a check up is in order.

Once a year pap smears and breast examinations are essential for sexually active women. If you and your finacee are sexually active, you should encourage her to see a gynae once a year as a matter of course.

Best of luck with your coming wedding.

Reply to Kate