Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2004/10/04

Secret debt is killing me!!!

I have oustanding debts to the amount of almost R5000. I just cannot seem to tell my husband about this as he will totally freak out and even possibly divorce me. I do not have the money to pay my debts and it is killing me!! First of all, lying to my husband and secondly, the fact that I cannot afford to pay my debts! I get these awful panic attacks and generally feels that I have let everybody down. Please help!!

Desperate, Haven't we discussed this situation, or one awfully like it, recently on the Forum ? I think you probably need to discuss this with your husband, and I doubt that he'll divorce you. Maybe he'll freak out, but when he comes down from the ceiling, he can help you to work out a plan. It's more likely to be the lying than the debt, that will upset him.
As can your bank manager advise, or other good financial adviser.
As Gee sayss, talk i over with your mom and dad, other family.

4
Posted by: same here | 2004/10/04

Hi Desperate - see, you are not alone :-).
Try Mona's advise (though it does not work for me, as the institutes I applied to, want hubby's details, and boy if ever they call him he'll want to know......)He believes in CASH - won't even make a loan to extend the house!
And a budget does not work for me either! Every time I draw up a budget - and I promise to stick to it.............nah, never works for me. And boy, I've skiiped this accoutn to pay that account and ithe debt, she just gets worse.
I hope you find a solution.

Reply to same here
Posted by: Mona | 2004/10/04

R5000?? Can i swop my debt with yours please!!

Take a loan for R5000, pay off all your debt, and then repay the R5000 over 3 years - should be small installements, about R250 per month.

Reply to Mona
Posted by: Debt | 2004/10/04

wish my debt was just R5000!!

Reply to Debt
Posted by: Gee | 2004/10/04

If all dept was this small, Do u work??? How does your buget looklike, what dept is this??? Cant your mom or dad help and then you pay them back as you have extra?? The thing is without a budget you can not make any thing work, if you are a house wife or just a wife looking after the grosseries draw up a house hold buget and work the extra money in there, the alternative is come clean with the hubby and explain to him what it is about, just maybe he is more understanding than you think!!!

Reply to Gee