Question

Secondary Infertility??

We have been ttc for 8 months. I had bloods taken at 21 days and my gynae says i am ovulating and must carry on trying. My husband has had a sperm count and its fine. I cant wait any longer and get v depressed every month when i am not pregnant. I have booked an app with a fertility specialist, do you know what he can do for us - im desparate. Also we have a 2y8m girl, could i have secondary infertility? What is this? I dont want the gap to be too big - is there any way the FS can assist us without doing IVF?
Thank you.

Dear Anon

The main concern in this situation is tubal patency and this would need to be checked either by means of an x-ray (HSG) or a laparoscopy. Thereafter simple ovulation induction and ovulation monitoring with timed intercourse may be all that is necessary for speedy conception.

4
Posted by: Nix | 2007/07/24

start a herb garden or take up a hobby, that should help change the thought pattern to babies all the time.

Reply to Nix

Thank you so much for the advise - i know stress decreases fertility but im really beside myself at the moment. Each month i get more stressed - i will look into reflexology.

Posted by: Nix | 2007/07/23

i agree with Dee, just relax and take it easy. if you don't concieve by dec then consider seeing a FS.

Reply to Nix
Posted by: Dee | 2007/07/23

If both you and your dh tests are fine then an FS will most prob have you do a couple timed cycles. He will scan you to check that there is a follicle and maybe give u a trigger shot to time intercourse correctly. If that doesnt work then you might be told to take ovulation induction drugs and do timed intercourse with these for a few months. There is lots that a FS can do other than IVF!!! That is the absolute last resort!

Stop worrying about the age gap, do some reflexology and learn to relax about this, stress is very very bad for conceiving. You sound like you are getting yourself very worked up about this. 8 months is really not long.

Reply to Dee