Question
Posted by: Manz | 2004/11/11

Second opinion-calf implant

Recently I visited a surgeon to find out about the possibiliy of reconstructing my calf. I had the tendons in my left leg lenthened as a very young child. My left calf never developed and is at least 8cm smaller in diameter than the right. The surgeon said that it is not possible to correct the problem as the skin would not allow an implant big enough to make a marked difference. Also the op would cost R17 000. Is there any way ythat he could be mistaken.
It was a terrible dissapointment as I have always lived with the hope that one day I could have it sorted out and finally be able to wear a skirt with pride. I am a 32 year old woman in good health.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Manz,

Unfortunately for you the surgeon is quite correct. The problem of extrusion, i.e. your body physically rejecting the implant, is incredibly big, and there is no effective solution surrounding this at this stage. We sincerely hope that future advances in tissue engineering might make this kind of procedure a lot more viable, where you would be able to grow your own tissue as an implant alternative.

1
Posted by: Manz | 2004/11/11

Thank-you for your prompt reply. Not what I wanted to hear but thanks anyway

Reply to Manz