Posted by: scalper | 2006/11/03

Seborrheic Dermatitis?

Dear Cyber Doc,

My son and I suffer from a condition where we get these thick scaly areas on our scalps. It actually gets so thick on my son's head, that it is impossible to comb his hair. We've taken him to a dermatologist, who gave us some cortosteroid liquid ointment, but it was a very small little bottle and did not work at all. He also prescribed some very expensive shampoo, which only had a very slight effect on the condition and as soon as the shampoo ran out, the condition came back! My son is very active with sport, etc and it seems that from the perspiration that comes from his head, there are now areas on his face that are dry and looks lime a rash or eczema. The only way we get some relief is to cover his head in "technical oil" overnight, to soften the crust and then my wife has to scratch the scales off , using a fine comb. It is a very painfull operation and a lot of hair comes out with the scales.

My own infection is not as severe, but I also get the scales on my head to the extent that I can feel thickish bumps of the stuff all over my head. I've also tried the shampoo and ointment given to my son, but with the same result.

What do you think we have and what treatment could you suggest, besides cortisone, which apparently makes the skin thinner? I've also read that it could be caused by an allergy to certain ingredients of shampoo??? I use a anti dandruff shampoo, but it really does nothing to alleviate the condition.

Please help!


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Scalper
You both have seborrheic eczema or dermatitis. ( also called Cradle cap)

Try rubbing Betnovate 10% in UEA in his hair at night, and let him sleep on a towel, let him wash with Selsun sjampoo the next morning - try this for a week?

You can't heal it - it is like an allergy - one can just manage this condition. He must avoid soap on his face - rather use Dove or elizabeth anne baby shampoo.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Scalper | 2006/11/06

Hi Doc,

Thanks very much for the info and the suggestions. Excuse my ignorance, but what does UEA mean? Can I get Betnovate over the counter or do I need a prescription?


Reply to Scalper

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.