Question
Posted by: Cyclelist | 2005/11/22

Seat problems - pins and needles

I have been cycling for a few months now and have entred a 800km race over 5 days next year , but when I train I loose the feeling in my penis am
nd testicles and also experience pins and needles in my feet ... is this normal and what can I do about this ...

HI there

First thing to do is check out your bike setup. This is not an uncommon problem, it does happen, and one cause is poor setup. For example, if your saddle is tilted at too great an angle, more pressure is placed on the testes causing numbness. Another possibility is that your handlebars are too low and you are leaning too far forward putting more pressure on the saddle. Finally, it is possible that you are just sensitive to this and you need to look at getting yourself one of these alternative saddles which is designed to alleviate pressure problems. Most bike stores will have them in stock.

As for your feet, that's probably caused by your shoes being too tight, and you simply need to loosen the straps, or if they are too small for you, consider a new, bigger pair.