Question
Posted by: Marra | 2004/01/13

Seasickness

Hello Doc. Can you tell me if there is anything on the market that helps with seasickness and doesn’t make you sleepy afterwards. I tried some (2 or 3) pills but all of them make me drowsy. I stopped taking them just to feel ok when I’m back on land. I tried all the tricks but still I get seasick. I don’t get air sick or car sick but seasick. Can you please help me?
Thanks.
Marra

Marra, the best product used to be Scopaderm® TTS patches, but they’re not available in SA anymore. There are several drugs that can be taken before you go on a trip, but none of them are a 100% guaranteed. They should all be taken half an hour to an hour before departure for them to work optimally. Buclizine (Vomifene®), cinnarizine (Stugeron®) and cyclizine (Antimet®, Covamet®, Nauzine®, Valoid®) are all anti-emetics that have been used with success. Cyclizine is available in syrup and can be used in children. Promethazine (Phenergan®) is very effective, but causes sedation – a good thing in children, but not always desired in adults. It has to be taken 2 hours before the trip. Diazepam (Valium®) is also very effective, but you won’t remember anything about the trip, as it is very sedating. Divers frequently use phenytoin (Epanutin®), an anti-epileptic drug with very good results. Ginger root is a popular home remedy and is available in most health food stores. It irritates the stomach, so it has to be taken in capsule form. Good luck.