Question
Posted by: M&M | 2004/10/20

Searing, burning pain in breasts - also swollen, hard

Good day,
For the past week I had burning pain in my right breast - underneath at the beginning of the breast and in my nipple. The pain is in the breast and only when I move or touch it or sleep on my sides. I have picked up some weight this year. What worries me is that I had always small "pap" breasts. Now it is huge, hard, swollen, thick - like a pregnant woman's breasts with milk in it. I have my periods right now and I have been sterilised with a ceserean 2 years ago. I have never breast fed my children as it was to painful and when I tried nothing would come out. The doctor find no lumps and suggested a mammograph. What can it be? Menopause, pregnancy?? I am 36 years old. The doctor has given me antibiotics. It will probably take about a month before I can go for the mammograph.

M&M, it is a bit difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you first, but it sounds like inflammation or infection. It might also be due to an hormonal imbalance or a breast tissue disorder like fibro-adenosis. The best would be to get the mammogram done as soon as possible (I can’t think of a reason to wait a month) and to see a surgeon (they’re the ones best suitable for the sorting out problems like yours). Good luck.

1
Posted by: adiva | 2004/10/20

Good day,
I have a similar problem, except that my breasts are not swollen, and the pain is in the top left side of my back and also in my arm-pit and left breast - especially in the nipple. It is not a deep pain, more superficial as though it is just under the skin. I have had a mammogram a few months ago and everything was fine. I do not have any lumps. This pain started about 3 weeks ago and is getting worse. I am a type II diabetic on insulin.

Reply to adiva