Question
Posted by: Taurus | 2004/10/22

Searching for "Sugarfree"

Hi Sugarfree,

I was just wondering if you could tell me how your daughter is coping on the pump. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 4 years, and am on 4 injections a day. I am not really coping too well, and am seriously considering the pump. My doctor has recently changed my insulin to Lantus, and he says at my next check-up we will see how I am doing on the lantus, and discuss the pump. I realise using the pump is a lot of hard work when it comes to monitoring the sugar levels, but I would rather prick my finger a couple of times a day, than plung a needle into my leg. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Taurus, can you let me know where your doctor is going to get the pump? Please mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za, because I couldn’t find out much last time I tried. Thank you.

1
Posted by: Sugarfree | 2004/10/22

Hi Taurus
My daugter was diagnosed in 2002 at the age of 6. To tell you the truth, WE DID NOT COPE at all!. We could not adapt to the strict diet and it was a nightmare to teach the nursery school staff what to do and what she was allowed to eat. The pump is very liberating. Since using the pump her Hba1c has been lower after every test. You do have to test more often, but it is only to your own advantage as you are able to adjust the settings on the pump according to your needs. We are counting carbohydrates and she gives insulin according to what se eats and not eat according to her insulin dose. After a while you sort of know how much insulin to give for the type and amount of food. She now lives a more 'normal' lifestyle. (pizza included) When her sugar is too high during the night I can give extra insulin without waking her, or when it is low I can set a temporary insulin dose for the rest of the night. There is a glucose monitor available called FreeStyle which uses a very small drop of blood and you can test on your arms and legs and not only on your finger. At first it was like adapting from scratch, but we will never go back to injections. Now we change the 'needle' (small plastic tube inserted under the skin) every 3 days. The only 'downside' is that the pump only warns you when it cannot deliver insulin and sometimes the 'needle' bends and she does not get enough insulin. But we now know if her sugar remains high we change the needle. The pediatrician told us about Lantus, but I did not like the idea of 4 injections a day. The lumps (injection sites) on my daughters legs have disappeared. Good luck!!!!!

Reply to Sugarfree