Question
Posted by: Nono | 2008/01/25

Seafood and pregnancy

Hi.
I am 19 weeks pregnant. My husband and I were considering cutting off red meat from our diet and sticking to fish, chichen and vegetarian. Would this be unwise?
I heared that seafood should be limited during pregnancy. I will have mostly haddock, salmon, hake, calamari, prawns and mussles on the menu. Are any of these to be avoided?
Thank you.

Dear Nono
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I would actually not recommend that you cut out red meat just now because it is still the best source of biologically available iron in the diet and when you are pregnant your iron requirement increases a lot. To read the articles I have written on the subject of eating fish during pregnancy, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and 'Pregnancy' and read the articles on 'EATING FISH & SUSHI DURING PREGNANCY. IS IT HARMFUL? PART I & II'.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy