Question
Posted by: Elaine | 2004/11/15

Seafood and Pregnancy

I would like to know from Dr is it safe to eat oysters (fresh shelled ones) while you are pregnant. I am 20w pregnant and dont want to do anything stupid that may effect my baby. I enjoy my fish which i have occasionally but have heard many stories about fish effecting your baby??? What must i stay away from???

Try to avoid uncooked fish, such as sushi. As long as you are not allergic to oysters, you can go ahead and eat them cooked.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/15

Fish is very good for you at all times, and also during pregnancy.

Some people say not to eat seafood (mussels, oysters etc), my gynae told me that if I had never eaten them before, then pregnancy wasn't the time to start, but that if I had eaten them before without a problem, then so long as I ate them in moderation and not bucketloads of them, it would be fine.

Reply to Purple