Question
Posted by: Raymond Taylor | 2018/06/23

scratchy throat

I have a scratchy throat that causes me to cough frequently. All that helps is for me to sip water every few minutes. I have had this for several weeks. I am a diabetic on insulin, and have stage 4 CKD but not yet on dialysis. I am a 73 year old male. Could you assist?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2018/06/25

There are many causes of a scratchy throat.  Most commonly this is due to a post-nasal drip.  I would suggest you try some over the counter antihistamines, which you can ask your pharmacist for.  However, acid coming up the food pipe and various other chronic conditions of the upper throat and airways may be causing this.  If the antihistamines don’t help, then you need to seek medical help.