Question
Posted by: Loving Doggy Mom | 2007/07/18

Scratchy

Hi there,

I have a toy pom cross mini chiwawa and it seems like she has got a skin problem. She scratches all the time yet she has no flees.... and of late it seems as if she is suffering from some kind of a fit. It has occured about 5 times now within the space of 3 months. She is only 2 years old - her birthday was in April. I don't know what to do. I dont have a lot of money and I know that I need to take her to a vet. Is there any where else I can take her to see that would be a bit more cost effective? i dont want to lose her. She is my baby and I would die if something had to happen to her. She eats pedigree and I give her bob martins every day. I also give her left overs from the table including meat veggies and rice. She does not want to gain weight even though I give her regular de-worming meds. Please help. I am desparate.

You can enquire from your local animal charity if you qualify to have your pet treated there.

3
Posted by: Epi-pet mom | 2007/07/20

Hi again

Unfortunately it sounds as though your girl may be suffering from epilepsy as the symptoms you describe sound like what my girl used to do. If you look up canine epilepsy on the web, you will find many useful sites which will be able to give you more info.

I medicate my girl now, although you don't have to. My vet only recommended that I did it if the fits started becoming more frequent (like more than twice a month) but I do it anyway as she is one of four dogs and my one will attack her if she fits and I am not at home. So I medicate for safety sake.

I really can't think what might be causing the itchiness. Again, I think that a vet will be able to be more helpful. They will also be able to help you with the fits. I am sure that there must be a welfare society in Durban - hopefully one close to you.

Reply to Epi-pet mom
Posted by: Loving Doggy Mommy | 2007/07/19

Hi There,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

to answer your questions, firstly about the itchiness - she does not come into contact with carpet freshner, washing powder or carpet freshner. when I do bath her (which is once a week) I try to use a flea and tick shampoo cos she has flees from time to time. She is outside most of the time and avoids the grass only to do her business. Other than that she spends most of her time on concrete where she has her bed and toys etc. She became itchy about a year ago and I havent been able to solve her problem as yet. She also develops skin sores from time to time and I feel terrible when tis happens. I have tried program, frontline and some.... I also have a cat with whom she plays with quite alot, actually they are best friends. But the cat has no flees either. Thus my concern for the itchiness. I live in Montclair - Durban. I am worried that the vetinary bills will cost a fortune and being a single mother it is hard for me to find that kind of money to take her to a vet. But I will take your advice and see someone like you mentioned in my area.

regarding the fits - it started like I said, a few months ago. her fist time was in the living room - she was fast asleep and then all of a sudden she woke up and stared crying and yelping - her body was all contorted and her jaw was stiff and open - her muscles were in spasm and it lasted for around 5 mins. She also passed a stool afterwards and it seemed as if she was "out of it" and did not know me at all - as if she was dis - orientated. After a few mins she came to and it was as if nothing had happned but she went straight to sleep afterwards and slept for about four hours.
This has happened on a few different occasions and I dont know how many times it has happened while I have not been at home.

If anything had to happen to her I thing a part of me would die and I feel guilty for not having the money to take her to get care and treatment.

Please can you give me some kind o guidence and opinons,
I am so desparate. I dont want my baby to die.

Kim

Reply to Loving Doggy Mommy
Posted by: Epi-pet mom | 2007/07/19

Hi Loving Doggy Mommy

Perhaps you could take your pup to one of the welfare societies in your area? You do not say where you live, but perhaps there is an animal welfare / SPCA / Animal Anti-Cruelty? Any of these places should be able to help you for a reduced fee.

You do not mention what kind of fits your pup is getting? My dog suffers from epilepsy, which is easily controllable with medication. Again, you would need the vet to diagnose for you.

Finally, regarding the sratching, this could be from a number of causes, including being allergic to carpet freshener, washing powder, grass, etc. I have a dog who is "allergic to summer". She is incredibly itchy in summer, not in winter. Again, I think a vet should be able to tell you what is causing the itchiness.

See if you can find an animal welfare society in your area, and good luck.

Reply to Epi-pet mom