Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/01/13

Scoloisis ... new treatment??

Hello ,

My 19 yr old daughter has scoliosis , we only discovered it when she was 15 , and a that stage we didnt have medical aid , and she was giving me grief about having an operation ... she has been a top student right through school and now technikon , and wont even contemplate a day off never mind several weeks for post surgery recovery.... my medical aid is still pathetic and the expense of an operation to correct the curvature is out of the question.

But I have heard of a new treatment for scoliosis that involves "shock" (?) treatment and training the back muscles to correct the spine.

Where would i find out if there is such a treatment ?? I saw a programme on Discovery about this , it ws apparently pioneered in Israel.

Even if we didnt get a 100 % result , This option though it may be very pricey makes sense to me ....im not keen on any operations especialy on the back.

Thank you for yr help

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Much depends upon the severity of the scoliosis. I suggest you have your daughter examined by a registered chiropractor - who should be in a position to discuss the different options for treatment.