Question
Posted by: Tash | 2008/01/14

Scoliosis

Hello
I would like a bit of advise. I have Scoliosis, and an orthopaedic surgeon has suggested that I start doing an exercise program. I am not a fan of going to a gym, as I have huge self-confidence issues.
I have been researching purchasing a home exercise machine, but there are so many different ones.
Could you suggest a machine I could purchase so I can do some exercise at home. The surgeon said I have to do exercise to build up the muscles next to my spine, and strengthen my stomach muscles.

HI Tash

The best thing to bear in mind when buying home exercise is equipment is the after sales service on the machine. What you need to make sure is that when something goes wrong, and your machine needs some kind of repairs, that you can have them done cheaply and quickly. Last thing you want is to be stuck for 4 weeks while some obscure part is shipped in from Taiwan or China.

Apart from that, your best bet is to begin with the end in mind - first figure out what it is that you want to achieve, specifically. You said muscles on the spine, but more than this, as you going to focus on legs and back, or will you do arms as well? Cardio? etc. Once that is decided, then you can go into a store and speak with the consultants about the best thing for you. You might also wish to see a biokineticist, just for an initial assessment, and because they will help you with the design of the exercise programme. That's obviously vital - once you have the machine, you need to use it well, so getting the programme right is vital.

1
Posted by: anon | 2008/01/15

Just be careful of going it alone, a lot of injuries could take place exercising alone .why not go to pilates, excellent exercises for strengthening the core. There are very small classes.....why not just try one.. also go to the physio who can give you a program or a biokenetics expert.......

Reply to anon