Posted by: Beulah | 2007/12/18

Scizophrenia we think

We had our son in Lentegeur ordered by a judge. He was there 2 weeks, the shrink saw him 2 times in those 2 weeks because they were understaffed. Sent him home and told us he has scizophrenia gave him pills and told us he must do his share at home and he must see a shrink on a regular basis. Since then he
Has stopped the pills stopped going to the shrink, and makes our lifes miserable, it's fine when we ignore him but the minute u want participation in anything, it leads to an argument, with astronomical porportions. He makes us uncomfortable in our house refuses to participate.

I cannot handle the insults mood swings ignoring etc. We have no life anymore. I have never handled any mental person before or knew one. I'm at breaking point and so is my husband. My hoiuse is always in turmoil. He is 23 years old hates us. I know he smokes weed how much and when I don't know I need to know what to do. I can't live like this anymore. I'm tired stressed out and if he insults me one more time. I might crack. It feels like I'm going to have a heartattack. I can't take it anymore.

Please help?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Hi Beulah, It is tragic how under-staffed and sometimes badly staffed, public / state institutions are. There is NOT excuse for the neglect of patients, especially mentally ill patients who may be less able to defend themselves than others.
What you describe doesn't sound at all satisfactory. The proper diagnosis of schizophrenia takes time and care, and the doctor ought to have made proper arrangements for your son to be seen at some other state clinic for ongoing supervision of his medication and behaviour. If there was likely to be a problem with him sticking to the medicines he needed, some major drugs for schizophrenia can be given by monthly injection, which greatly helps.
If this indeed is schizophrenia ( there are some other conditions which may at times show some similar symptoms, then he would probably need lifelong medication and other help, superised by an appropriate specialist --- and some of the clinics have visiting psych nurses who can help extend that supervision and even administer the injections at home.
Of course smoking week doesn't help anyone and can be especially complicating in someone with a psychoic illness like schizophrenia ( and may even help to bring on the illness, even in someone who might otherwise have escaped it ) but I doubt that you could persuade him to give it up, and asking him to do so would probably cause one of those enormous arguments. His shrink ought to help persuade him of that.
Its obvious, too, that his behaviour, especially as it is not being modified and improved by appropriate meds, is causing great stress to you and others.
You could approach the psychiatrist at your nearest major state hospital, or thropugh a GP if there is one who knows him, to explore whether he could be compulsorily admitted again for a period of treatment and stabilization and exploration of possible alternative living arrangements when he is settled on the right meds. I wonder under what circumstances a judge was involved the first time round, and whether there was a relevant court order when he was discharged from that case, requiring him to continue to undergo treatmebnt ( there should have been ) --- and if there was, then it could be invoked to assist in starting compulsory treatment with a view oto getting him well enough to continue treatment on a voluntary basis.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.