Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2007/05/10

Scintigraph???

Doc, I wrote to you a little while back regarding my Hyperthyroidism. I have gone for the sonar and went to see Surgeon. He adviced that I go for a Scintigraph. What is this and why would he want to do it? Please any info would help.

Hi Lisa
It is a two-dimensional record of the distribution of a radioactive tracer in a tissue or organ, obtained by means of a scanning scintillation counter. Also called scintigraph, scintiscan. Because the thyroid takes up iodene, one can have a picture of how it works by taking in radioactive Iodene and doing a scan! It will show where there are over or underactive areas.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2007/05/10

Maybe he means a lymphoscintigraphy. If this is what you have to have its a tracking of the lymphatic system. I had one last week. It is not nice to start with, I had it done at the Morningside Clinic Nuclear Medicine department. They inject radioactive dye between your big and next toe in both legs (if necessary), which I found VERY sore! But after that its fine. It just takes a loooong time because its obviously very slow in tracking the whole of your lymphatic system and can take anything up to 2 hours for the procedure. I was there for 1 hour and had to have an hour break and go back again. I was there for about 2 hours. I have been diagnosed with primary lymphoedema tarda in my right leg by my vascular surgeon and this procedure just confirmed his diagnosis.

Ask your surgeon if this is the name of the procedure.

Reply to anxious