Question
Posted by: Kiera | 2007/08/23

Sciatic pain ruining my life!

I had a baby about 22 months ago. I was an "older" mom and had her at 38. About 5 months after the birth, i developed pain in my lower back, with shooting pain down my right leg. I coped with it for about 6 weeks and it went away.

4 months ago, my back pain started again, this time with the shooting pain down my left leg - every time i took a step, it felt like a knife stabbing into my leg/groin/bum and back. It was extremely debilitating and i had to take 2 weeks off work. It started getting better about 3 weeks ago - i was walking almost normally and was off the painkillers and anti-inflammatories, then my elder daughter went into hospital and i was doing a lot of walking up and down the hospital every day - the pain came back, worse than before.

It's so bad now that it hurts to stand, sit or even lie down. I CANNOT take more time off work, so i hobble along, grabbing hold of whatever i can to stand up (at home i use a crutch). I take about 3 Myprodols or Veltex tablets a day so my brain is pretty fuzzy half the time. Yesterday i bought some Nat Mur Tissue Salts in the hope that these will provide some small relief. I can't even pick up my little baby, which kills me and i'm just so incredibly frustrated right now!

When the pain started, i saw a GP and an acupuncturist - neither of which helped. I saw a Chiropractor who didn't help either (no offence :) ) In fact, since seeing the chiropractor, i can feel the bones in my lower back grating together which i never had before. I went for x-rays - nothing seemed to be wrong with my bones, and i tried physio - the only thing that did seem to help. I also saw a specialist who wanted me to go for an MRI - i, however, couldn't afford this procedure and the Government hospital wouldn't do it for me either, even though i had been referred by a specialist.

I now do physio exercises every night, apply heat pads and an electrical pulse machine to my back. All of this relieves the pain somewhat, but is not taking it away. I'm trying to fight this with all that i have, and all i really want is to be healthy again.

Do i have any alternatives to the above? Is there ANYTHING else i could be doing or taking to make this better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Dear Kiera
The only positive way to determine what is wrong would be through an MRI examination. I don't know where you are located, but your GP could refer you to one of the Academic Medical Hospitals for further examination and care. If nothing else has helped so far - you may require surgery. Much of your symptoms seem indicative of a prolapsed disc and there is not much in the line of medication that can work for this.

1
Posted by: Kelly | 2007/08/29

Hi Keira

I can sympathise your pain.
I have had the same problem, which am not thinking that its my hip which is giving me problems as at night, if I lie on my left side for too long, I have the same pain as you shooting down my leg. I cannot walk, get up or anything. I still have not seen a doctor, but after reading this, I think I should.

Good Luck

Reply to Kelly