Question
Posted by: Mommy to J | 2008/01/22

Schools for brain injured children

Hi All,

I'm 53 years old and have 3 children. My 2 elder kids are fine and my youngest is brain injured. I have a full time time job and my husband is often away in Africa (he has a business there) so I look after all my children's needs. On top of everything else I'm suffering from MENOPAUSE, so life is not a bliss at all right now for me!!! My son (that's brain injured) is 13yrs old and I'd like to send him to a boarding school in SA. Preferbly Gauteng, but since I've had no luck in finding a school in Gauteng, anywhere in SA will do.
If there's a parent out there or anyone that knows of a school - boarding to be exact that caters for brain injured kids, please could you let me know? He is very hyper active and is NOT physically challengd.
I thank you in advanced for your help & may the good Lord bless and keep you

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any boarding schools in the Gauteng province for mentally disabled children but I suggest that you contact Alta du Toit School at 021 - 903 7744, as they are a boarding school for mentally disabled children and might know about schools in your area.

Kind regards

4
Posted by: percy | 2015/09/11

Hi,guys thank you for this discussion. My son is type1 diabetic and I need to move him to a school for diabetic children.Please assist.mokhosonke70@gmail.com.com.Thanks

Reply to percy
Posted by: Jackie | 2008/04/27

Hi Mum to J, try Eureka School for the Mentally Handicapped in Vereeniging, Gauteng. Dr Amanda Lombaard is the principal tel 016 421 1064. My son, who is mildly mentally handicapped, was there until 2006 and the love and support he received was incredable. He could not speak understandably until he was six, had behavioural problems and no attention span to speak of. He learned to read, write, and do many other things. He was Head Boy in his final year. Eureka has a waiting list but it's worth trying to get your son in there. As a mother and a teacher I can recommend this school with no reservations. They did wonders for my boy. Good luck.
Mum to J 2

Reply to Jackie
Posted by: rowajo | 2008/04/22

Hi "Mommy to J" and "Michelle" above:
My brother has a similar need, and I will appreciate any info / help I can get in this regard. My e-mail address is my nickname (rowajo) at hotmail dot com
Could not get any links / addresses from your replies above, but I am desperate for any contact (probably not the right way to include my mail address here, but I am new to forums / Internet, etc...) so please excuse my ignorance

Reply to rowajo
Posted by: michelle | 2008/03/16

Dear "Mom" I too have a handicapped child and I have spent the last 3 weeks researching homes for mentally and physically impaired kids and adults. These facilities are very hard to find, I konw, so please email me and I can help you with the information you need.
Michelle

Reply to michelle