Question
Posted by: Concerned Parent | 2004/02/16

School beginner wetting bed

My six year old daughter started Grade 1 this year. She was very excited to start school. Recently she started wetting the bed, a problem that we have not had for a few years now. She was in nursery school for the last three years. I have asked her if anything is worrying, but she says things are nice at school. Shoud I be more concerned about this, or is it just a phase? What can I do?

Concerned Parent

Dear cp,
Let's see what other parents among the readers, think -- but it's actually not very uncommon for a child who bcomes nervous or insecure at a major change in his/her life, to regres for a while, to more childish levels of adaptation, such as starting some bedwetting again, having been previously dry. It doesn't mean that there's necessarily something going wrong at school, just that she may be finding it a bit more difficult to get used to, than previously. You can reassure her that you know she is growing up fine and that these temporary accidents in the bed should soon stop, and that you have every confidence in her, that this will happen.

1
Posted by: Nina | 2004/02/17

You must take her for a medical checkup to ensure that she doesn't have a bladder / kidney infection. A duplex kidney often only presents symptoms in children (for the first time) at around school going age. It is more common in girls; leads to bladder infections and bed-wetting, and affects 1 in 8 girls. It is important that she sees a urologist.

Reply to Nina